Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Waiting on Christmas

Pretty packages peak from under the tree

as needles once perky now sag.

Children hover, but don’t touch

as they count down days, hours, minutes

until Santa arrives.

I try

not to drive my husband crazy

fretting about

money spent

on gifts to thrill and delight.

What if I did not spend well?

What if the gifts are not quite right?

What if I replaced the one each longed for

with the one merely mentioned,

a passing interest,

a fleeting desire now expired?

So I count down days, hours, minutes

as well,

hoping that smiles will swell

and my frights will dispel

once the wrapping is ripped and

treasures revealed.

Until then, I must wait

tasty cookies on my plate

and the smell of aging pine in the air.


inspired by Poetic Bloomings prompt 34

1 comment:

  1. Now that Christmas has past, i long for this time again. Your poem is very evocative, and I loved it,

    May your new year be blessed,
    Moskowitz

    ReplyDelete