Sunday, June 12, 2011

6/12/11

6/12/11
(Poetic Bloomings prompt "playing favorites")

"Are you - Nobody - too?"

In a house full of children
the answer is always the same.
Nobody did it, saw it, or heard it
and this drives their parents insane.

"Are you - Nobody - too?" is a line from Emily Dickinson's wonderful poem "I'm Nobody! Who are You?"



"Trying to Read the Face of My Father"

A man of few words, I
began reading my father's face
when I teetered just knee-high.
Gauging the safety of
the environment by the
movements of his
deep brown eyes.


One of my favorite novels written in poems is The Way a Door Closes by Hope Anita Smith. The book is for middle grades. The line "trying to read the face of my father" is from the poem "Photo Op" found in this moving book.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment